Thursday, January 28, 2010

Beef Lasagna


It has been a long while since my last blog entry. Yesterday I thought I get my hands dirty and try this recipe. It turned out alright. I used a very convenient pre-cooked lasagna pasta which does not need boiling or soaking (St. Remo I think!). It was also convenient because of the recipe at the back of the box! Oh dear! I threw away the box already. Hmmmmmmmm....... let me recall the ingredients.

1 onion
1 clove garlic
1 carrot
500g minced beef
2x 400ml canned tomato
5 tbs tomato paste
2 cups chicken stock
pinch of nutmeg
2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
2 cups milk
150g cheese (mozarella or cheddar)

Heat oil in a pan.
Sweat onion, garlic & carrot till soft.
Add minced beef & cook till brown.
Add canned tomato, tomato paste, stock & nutmeg.
Season with salt & pepper.
Simmer for 20 minutes.

White sauce
Heat butter in a separate pan.
Take off heat & stir in flour.
Cook for 2 minutes on slow heat.
Add milk & keep stirring till thick & smooth.
Season with salt& pepper.

Preheat oven to 180C.
Lightly grease baking dish.
Layer pasta, meat sauce & white sauce alternately, starting with meat sauce and ending with white sauce on top. Make up to 4 layers.
Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.




No comments: