Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rock Cake


Dear All,

This is the first ever cookie recipe that I tried out when I was in the UK. It was my first time baking on my own. Actually I had helped my mum  baking biscuits before for Eid ul Fitr when I was a kid. I have fond memories of that. My mum usually started baking "kuih raya" 2 weeks before Eid..... usually after "sahur" (eating before the break of dawn) during Ramadhan month. By the time the cookies are ready, I can't eat them until time to break fast at 7pm later that day. You can imagine the anticipation! I think that was when I started to have the inclination to bake. Thanks Mum!

Btw, this is the recipe for Rock Cake. It's a misnomer.....it's more of a biscuit than a cake.
8 oz self-raising flour
4 oz margarine
4 oz sugar
1 egg
50g mixed fruit
1 tbs milk

Method:
Mix flour & sugar.
Rub margarine until appears like breadcrumbs.
Beat egg and add into mixture & knead.
Divide into small mounds on lightly greased baking tray.
Bake at Gas Mark 6 for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

Yes Gas Mark 6! In the UK at the time, most ovens use Gas Mark. It means nothing if one does not know the conversion to temperature.

Lesson of the day:
This is the conversion of Gas Mark to temperature.
Gas Mark Celcius Fahrenheit
1 140 275
2 150 300
3 160 325
4 180 350
5 190 375
6 200 400
7 220 425
8 230 450

A conventional oven can reach only such temperatures. You can't go higher than that unless you happen to have a tandoori oven which can reach a temperature of 900 degrees Fahrenheit (480 degrees Celcius).

Now you are in the know!

No comments: