Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Nestum Butter Prawns



Something I cooked up yesterday. Tasty treat.....but NOT for those on diet!
It all started when a friend of mine (in Facebook) asked for this recipe.
Then I remembered the frozen prawns in the freezer. 
I thought if I could thaw 'em before going to work and cook 'em after work.
And so I DID!

It's difficult to get this recipe right the first time.
This is my second try. Still I cannot get 'em prawns to be as crispy as in the restaurant. Maybe because u need a LOT of oil.....really HOt oil to deep fry 'em. 
I don't wanna use up and waste too much cooking oil in the process.

300g big prawns, trimmed, washed and drained.
enough flour to coat prawns
4 cups oil for deepfrying
3 tbsp butter
3 egg yolk, beaten lightly
2 shallots chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
1/2 tbsp chicken stock granules
1/2 tsp sugar
2 sprigs curry leaves
6 bird's eye chilli/cili padi (sliced) 
salt and pepper to taste
5 tbsp Nestum or oatmeal

Method:
Wipe prawns dry. Toss in flour to coat. 
(Tip: It's important to pat dry the prawns to make it crispier)
Heat up oil, deep fry prawns for 1-2 min. Dish and drain.
Leave 1/2 cup of oil in wok, add butter. Heat together till "silent".
Stir in egg yolk. 
(I m just guessing.......but to make strings like in the restaurant, u may pour egg yolk through a sieve. Never tried it but theoretically it may work. I'll try it next time)
Add other ingredients except nestum/oatmeal and continue to fry till fragrant. 
Add prawns and fry till aromatic.
Lastly, add nestum/oatmeal and fry till dry.
Dish up and serve hot.


2 comments:

KABU said...

Michel, I didn't know that u hv a hand in cooking....bravo..

Michel said...

Kabu, just a little hobby of mine!